Editor’s Note: Rebecca Fisher is interning with MLUI this summer in the communications department. As a way to introduce her to all the great local products you can find in northern Michigan, each week she’ll be picking out an item at the farmers market and trying out a new recipe. First up: Asparagus.
Since I arrived in Traverse City, I have not stopped hearing about the asparagus. So I wasn’t too surprised when I went to the farmers market last week and asparagus <>was everywhere. I understand it came in a little late this year, but now it’s widely <>available.
While I’ve never been a huge fan of asparagus, I decided to see what all of the hubbub was about and purchased a bundle. The ladies from Altonen Orchards (pictured <>below) recommended throwing the asparagus in the oven with some salt and olive <>oil and then grating some parmesan cheese on top once out of the oven.
- Preheat oven at 350
- Break ends off asparagus sticks
- Lay sticks of asparagus on metal tray
- Add salt and olive oil
- Use hands to mix asparagus into olive oil and salt
- Put tray in oven for 6 minutes
- Take out and turn sticks
- Put back in oven for 6 minutes
- Once baked, take out and grate Parmesan top and enjoy!