Hey transit fans,
Looking for a better way to get your kids to summer camp? How about transit? Last month on MyWheelsAreTurning, Ashley Walter shared a story about the wonderful experience she had allowing her daughter and three other kids – all under six – to ride the BATA bus to the Boardman Nature Center.
Here’s an excerpt:
“Don’t get me wrong, the kids also loved the activities, games, friends and crafts during the camp too. But what got my 4-year-old out of bed in the morning? “You’re going to be late for the bus.” I’ve never seen my daughter jump out of bed and get dressed so quickly. Not even on her birthday!”
Northwest Michigan transit in action
Did you know the Grand Traverse Resort and Casino offers transit passes to their employees at a discounted rate? Or did you know Hagerty Insurance reimburses employees for a portion of their bicycle expenses if they commit to biking to work a certain amount of days a year? What a deal! These companies are reducing traffic, promoting health, and providing reliable travel options.
We’ve launched a new program called Local Motion that’s dedicated to helping commuters figure out the best way to “smart commute” and helping companies create their own company-wide smart commute incentives. Stay tuned for more details.
What’s happening around Michigan
Interested in freight and passenger rail in Michigan? Consider attending the Michigan Rail Conference on August 27 in Lansing: More details here.
Can a person travel around Michigan using only bikes, buses, and trains? You can, but it's tough. Last year a group of us made a valiant attempt to travel the state during the Michigan Transportation Odyssey. This year, a new group will try again, but this time, in reverse. This year’s Odyssey begins in Traverse City on September 25 and ends in Detroit on September 27, with stops in Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, and Ann Arbor.
Want to chat with them as they stop? Check out the Transportation for Michigan website for details on how you can participate.
- Aug. 22 at 4 p.m. – Grand Vision Transit Subcommittee at the BATA Hall St. Transfer Center (115 Hall St., Traverse City, MI)
- Aug. 22 at 7 p.m. – TART Trails, Inc. presentation on Complete Streets at the Grand Traverse County Road Commission Regular Meeting (1881 Lafranier Rd, Traverse City, MI 49696)
- Aug. 27 at 8 a.m. – Michigan Rail Conference at Lansing Community College (5708 Cornerstone Drive, Lansing, MI)
- Aug. 28 at 9 a.m. – Bay Area Transportation Authority Board Meeting at the BATA Hall St. Transfer Center (115 Hall St., Traverse City, MI)
- Sept. 3 at 3:30 p.m. – Grand Vision Transportation Network at the Northwest Michigan Council of Governments (600 E. Front St., Traverse City, MI)
- Sept. 11 at 7 p.m. – Benzie Bus Board Meeting at the Benzie Bus Headquarters (14150 U.S. 31, Beulah, MI)
- Sept. 26 at 6 p.m. – Michigan Transportation Odyssey at the Filling Station (642 Railroad Pl., Traverse City, MI)
To fund roads, the legislature may put sales tax hike on Nov. ballot (MLive)
Oregon’s solution? Charge users per mile they drive (AtlanticCities)
West Michigan is moving forward with transit, state Rep. says (RG)
To spur growth, northern Michigan towns look to trains (R-E)
Ypsi looks to trains, too (AA)
Ann Arbor leaders to welcome new bikes (Concentrate)
See you on the bus!
The Regional Rider is a monthly email newsletter that highlights the efforts to coordinate transit service in the six-county Grand Vision region. It's published by the Michigan Land Use Institute's transportation policy specialist, James Bruckbauer. Contact James with any questions or to provide feedback. Follow him on Twitter: @jimbruckb.